Updated May 19, 2015 – Fantastico Deluxe was eliminated as a WordPress Installer. Updated post with Quick Install.
So now that you’ve purchased your domain name through a provider such as GoDaddy and set up your hosting (I recommend HostGator, but BlueHost works the same way), it’s time to learn how to install WordPress. There are a few different ways to install WordPress but I’ll be showing you the easiest method via Quick Install which is a script installing service that is integrated with cPanel hosting such as HostGator and BlueHost.
1. Log into your cPanel (this link usually comes in the welcome email from your hosting provider after you’ve signed up.
2. Scroll down and look for the Quick Install icon and click on it.
3. Click on WordPress in the top left corner.
4. Click Continue.
5. Great! So now in this section, you’ll have a few fields to fill in:
- Install on domain (#1 in image): Select your domain name – if you don’t see your domain, you need to add it to your hosting account
- Admin Email (#2 in image): Enter your email address – the details of your WordPress installation will be emailed to you.
- Blog Title (#3 in image): Enter your website or blog name. ***optional
- Admin User (#4 in image): Enter a user name. Pick something original – DO NOT use admin.
- First Name (#5 in image): Enter your first name. ***optional
- Last Name (#6 in image): Enter your last name. ***optional
Then click “Install Now!”.
6. At this point you will see a “Congratulations” message with all the details of your installation. A copy of this will also be emailed to you.
7. Now if you type in your domain into the search bar, you will see your newly installed version of WordPress with the default theme. It may take a few minutes to show up. Now in order to access your WordPress dashboard, you will need to login at http://yourblogname.com/wp-admin and enter your user name and password. As I mentioned earlier, a default theme gets installed automatically so you’ll probably want to change this by installing a new WordPress theme.